Contact Your Legislator

Several times throughout the year the Virginia Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts, through an Action Alert, will request you to contact the Governor, Virginia legislators, U.S. Senators or members of the U.S. Congress. Your prompt action may be the difference between success or failure on an issue. Elected officials are responsive to the opinions of their constituents. Although direct contact is sometimes necessary, email/letters are still the best channel of communication when voicing concern on legislative issues. Letters that are thoughtful and sincere on issues that directly affect the writer get the most attention.

To obtain information about your Members of the State Senate and the House of Delegates visit Click on “Members and Session” on the left side of the page. Then, click on your representative’s name. You will then be able to get full contact information, biographical information, sponsored legislation, etc. If you’re uncertain who your legislator is, from the Virginia General Assembly website, you can click “Who’s My Legislator?” at the top of the page and by entering in your address determine your representative.

To learn more about which Soil & Water Conservation District you live in and your legislative representation, the map below provides quick handy reference. Use the mouse to hover over your SWCD/county/city.