Districts are divided into six geographic areas and each Area is represented on the VASWCD Board of Directors.
Area Chairs serve as a liaison between the Association and the districts within a respective Area. Maintaining communication with VASWCD staff and fellow board members is critical to the Area Chair position.
An Area Chair shall:
- Represent the districts in the Area at all meetings of the Board of Directors of the VASWCD and provide an update on activities as well as any Area concerns. If an Area Chair is unable to attend a Board of Directors meeting, then it should be arranged that the Area Vice Chair represent the Area at the VASWCD Board meeting.
- Schedule, organize and preside over two Area meetings each year. The Area ‘Spring’ meeting is to be hosted at a district within the Area and the Annual Area Meeting will be held during the VASWCD Annual Meeting.
- Assist and support the VASWCD in keeping districts in your respective Area informed of VASWCD activities, including new services offered and changes in policies and procedures, by means of regular Area teleconference calls and other methods as appropriate.
- Represent the VASWCD at a meeting of each district in the Area each year if possible.
- Serve on a minimum of one VASWCD committee. Assist the Association in other activities and committee member recruitment when appropriate.
- Serve on the DCR Cost Share Technical Advisory Committee. However, in lieu of personal service, the Chair may appoint a representative, from that Area to serve instead.
Policy Adopted 3.28.2012; Revised & Approved 7.17.2014
The following Area Chairs serve the following districts:
Area 1 – Western Virginia
Area Chair: Judy Burtner, Headwaters SWCD
Area Vice Chair: Linda Campbell Shenandoah Valley SWCD
- Lord Fairfax
- Mountain Castles
- Natural Bridge
- Shenandoah Valley
Area 2 – Northern Piedmont
Area Chair: Bob Brame, Culpeper SWCD
Area Vice Chair: Deirdre Clark, John Marshall SWCD
- John Marshall
- Northern Virginia
- Prince William
- Thomas Jefferson
Area 3 – Central VA -Tidewater
Area Chair: Herb Dunford, Henricopolis SWCD
Area Vice Chair: Cindy Smith, Hanover-Caroline SWCD
- Northern Neck
- Three Rivers
Area 4 – Southwest Virginia
Area Chair: Pete Farmer, New River SWCD
Area Vice Chair: Bobby Burchett, Daniel Boone SWCD
- Big Walker
- Big Sandy
- Clinch Valley
- Daniel Boone
- Holston River
- Lonesome Pine
- Scott County
- New River
Area 5 – Southern Piedmont
Area Chair: Ricky Rash, Piedmont SWCD
Area Vice Chair: Barbara Teeple, Peter Francisco SWCD
- Blue Ridge
- Lake Country
- Peaks of Otter
- Peter Francisco
- Robert E. Lee
Area 6 – Southeast Virginia
Area Chair: Margie Davis, James River SWCD
Area Vice Chair: Keith Seward, Peanut SWCD
- Appomattox River
- Eastern Shore
- Chowan Basin
- Virginia Dare
- James River